Functions of The Human Resources Section:
Recruitment and Hire
- Recruitment and Hire
- Leave Administration
- Staff Assessment and Evaluation
- Benefits and Conditions of Service
- Staff Training and Development
The Human Resources Section assists faculties, departments, units and centres in conducting searches to attract, select and retain appropriately qualified staff in keeping with our vision to make the University of the West Indies the employer of first choice.
Some of the recruiting and employment related services we offer include:
- Updating job opportunities on the Human Resources Website;
- Assisting and advising faculties/departments in meeting short and long-term staffing needs through communication with job advertising and recruiting sources;
- Ensuring compliance with all recruitment and employment related university Human Resources policies and procedures.
We assist and advise individual staff members with their queries about the several types of leave available and guide them on eligibility and application. Types of Leave include:
Staff Assessment and Evaluation
- Annual Leave
- Full Study Leave
- Vacation leave
We assist and guide our Deans, Heads of Department and members of staff through the assessment, evaluation and promotion exercise while ensuring compliance with the provisions as set out in Ordinance No.8. These regulations govern promotions to the higher grades.
Benefits and Conditions of Service
The Human Resources Section, in conjunction with the Bursary, administers the compensation and benefits plans of the Cave Hill Campus and provides employees with support, advice and information about the benefits offered by the University. Our benefits packages include:
Staff Training and Development
- Health insurance
- Group life insurance
- Pension plans
- Leave entitlements
The University’s Strategic Plan allows for the promotion of growth, empowerment and engagement of its employees. In this regard, the Human Resources Section designs training and development programmes to meet identified needs. We:
- Manage the Performance Appraisal System for Administrative, Technical and Service Staff;
- Identify training needs from recommendations from Performance Appraisals and Training Needs Analyses;
- Collaborate with in-house training personnel and external training providers for the provision and delivery of relevant programmes.