The University of the West Indies (UWI), at Cave Hill, Barbados

The University of the West Indies

at Cave Hill, Barbados

Current Students: FAQs
About Us

Do I get academic credit for my studies abroad?
Credits earned while on exchange or Study Abroad are credited to your UWI degree. Grades for courses taken at external institutions, and approved by your Faculty, are listed on your UWI transcript and are included in the calculation of your UWI grade point average (GPA).

Why should I participate in an exchange program?
Participating in an exchange program provides you with the opportunity to broaden your horizons and acquire new experiences, skills and a global perspective.  It also makes you more marketable on completion of your degree.

Who can participate in an exchange program?
In order to be eligible for selection, you should be a UWI student • normally registered as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student. • have spent at least one full-time academic year at the UWI • not in the last semester of your final year of study. • have proficiency in the host country’s language (if necessary). • have attained at least a Grade ‘B’ average, GPA 3.0 or the equivalent. • have not been the subject of any disciplinary action and have no such action pending against you.

Why is it preferred that I study abroad during my second year?
This is in conformity of University regulations. By second year, you should have adapted to the demands of university life and have the skills required for study in a foreign teaching environment.

Where do I start the application process? How do I get an application?
Visit the How to Apply page for details on the process.

If I only speak English, can I still go on exchange?
Yes, the language of instruction at many of UWI’s partner universities is English.  You should however visit the host university’s website for specific language requirements which are noted on the university’s profile.

How long will I be away?
Student exchanges may be arranged for one semester but for no more than one academic year. Students entering their final year of study are permitted to spend only the first semester on exchange. Summer programmes at overseas universities may also be arranged if offered under the exchange agreement.

Will participation in an exchange delay graduation?
Study abroad or exchange planned appropriately and in consultation with your academic department is intended to be an integral part of your degree programme without delaying graduation.

How much will it cost to go on an exchange?
Costs will vary according to where you decide to study. You will pay tuition fees to UWI based on your student status. Other expenses include: • Airfare and travel • Health and travel insurance • Fees for visa, passport and other documents • Accommodation, food, entertainment, books and general living expenses. Please note that the cost of living in your host country may be higher or lower than Barbados’.

Is there any financial assistance for students on exchange?
• The CUSAC bursary is awarded to students who are traveling to Universities in the Commonwealth who are members of the Commonwealth Universities Study Abroad Consortium (CUSAC). This includes airfare and £500.00. • The Millennium Fund is given to students who are traveling to the other two UWI campuses on Exchange Programme. This includes airfare and accommodation. • The Canadian Government is offering a number of scholarships for study in Canada under an exchange agreement. For an undergraduate exchange of 4 months, a scholarship of $7,500 CAD is available per student.  For a graduate exchange of 5 to 6 months, a scholarship of $10,000 CAD is available per student.

How are students selected for exchange?
Candidates are selected for placements at partner universities based upon: • Academic ability • Department/Faculty approval of equivalent courses • Suitability of the host institution’s program for meeting degree requirements.


Contact us for further information:
Telephone: (246) 417-4972/417-4656 Fax: (246) 417-4542 Email: