Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Resources »
Back to Top
Close Menu
Exchange versus Study Abroad

Students considering attending another university to earn credits towards their UWI degree have two options: Exchange or Study Abroad. Though the two terms are often used interchangeably, they are different. 
In an Exchange programme, partner universities exchange students with one another. Each university has a limited number of spaces, so UWI, Cave Hill students apply to go on exchange through the campus International Office. Successful applicants pay regular tuition to UWI, Cave Hill instead of having to pay tuition fees to their host institution. 

Find out Why Student Exchange or view a list of Partner Universities »
To Study Abroad students can apply directly to the university of their choice.  If students wish to obtain credits from their study then courses must be approved by their Departmental Head and Dean prior to the commencement of the programme and the Study Abroad Form [PDF] must be completed and returned to the International Office. Students must also obtain a Letter of Permission from the Registrar's Office to transfer the credits towards their UWI degree.  Students who choose to study abroad must pay tuition to their host institution and are not limited to our academic exchange partners.
Study Abroad in Barbados brochure 2020

Ready to Apply? Visit the How to Apply page »



Catamaran cruise, Living life to the fullest.
 Jacquelyn Agustin
Read about Jacquelyn Agustin 's Experience »

Contact us for further information:
Telephone: (246) 417-4972/417-4656 | Fax: (246) 424-3320 | Email: